Founding of museums in Theological Schools of the Russian Empire is due to the development of Theological research in the 19th century. In 1809-1814 the study of Church antiquities was included in the course of Church History in Theological Academies. Later in 19th century courses in Church Antiquities, Church and Biblical Archaeology were also added to the academic program. Eventually, on November 17, 1872 the Kiev Theological Academy established the Church Archaeology Museum (CAM) in order to facilitate a more effective study of these disciplines, and it soon housed one of the largest collections of Church Antiquities in Europe. Despite several major robberies, which took place in the 19th century, in 1915 CAM’s collection had as much as 43,000 exposition articles.
During the Soviet times a substantial part of this collection was transferred to various places including the National Library of Ukraine. Many articles were also destroyed or stolen during the World War II, and a large number of articles was shipped to Germany.
After the restoration of the Kiev Theological Schools in 1989 there was a growing interest of the Faculty to revive the Church Archaeology Museum. On December 27, 2002 - the day of celebrating the 130-Year Anniversary of founding the CAM, the Holy Synod blessed restoration of the museum.
In 2009 the Rector of the Kiev Theological Academy His Eminence Antoniy, Archbishop of Borispol brought forth the idea of restoring the museum in the course of preparing for the celebrations of the 20-Year Anniversary of restoring the Kiev Theological Schools. Eventually, on October 21, 2009 the Most Blessed Vladimir, Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine consecrated the newly restored Church Archaeological Museum of the Academy. Many collections were donated to the Museum and it now has a great number of rare exposition articles of significant archaeological and historical value.